Friday, December 17, 2010

Am I my Dad?

For the past few weeks I was so busy that I just looked forward to having nothing to do (after December 12th).  LOL  I didn't sleep very soundly in the weeks prior to the 12th (that is only because I cannot turn off my mind) and I didn't have a lot of time on my hands.  One night, my daughter cried because she said I never have time to talk to her anymore.  Now, I should have prefaced that with the fact that my daughter is somewhat dramatic!  LOL  She was really exaggerating.  But, I did have my ear to a phone and my nose in a computer for weeks.  So, here I am basking in the next few weeks of having nothing specific to do.   Well, that might not be totally true.  We have a few scheduled events over the next 2 weeks but nothing that I should lose sleep over.  Jim thinks I'm my dad.  If you don't know my dad....he can't rest.  He does not sit still long.  I didn't know whether to take Jim's comment as a compliment or not?!  Is that a good thing?  Maybe it's a bad thing?

So, while I was mulling over Jim's comment, I signed up for another Wish Kid.  I wasn't going to sign up for another child until the new year but he lives in Anthem!  I live in Anthem!  It's pretty rare to have a wish child right in my community.  It would be crazy for me NOT to sign up for him.  So, I called the family tonight to introduce myself.   I learned a little bit about the child.  He is actually 16.  He has cancer.  Lymphoma.  He found out this year on Easter weekend.  As I talked to the child's mom (I'll call the child C and the mom M), she shared with me that C is actually her great nephew.  My paperwork said she was his mom?  M said she adopted C when he was 11 months old so she is his mom.  But, first, she was his great aunt.  M proceeded to tell me that she is not a traditional mom of a 16 year old.  She actually has children of her own that are 45 and 47 years old!  M and her husband are retired and live on Social Security.  M said that C desperately wants to go to college.  M wondered if that was even something that he could "wish" for.   M is concerned about the future for many reasons.  C has a PET scan on January 11th.  We decided to schedule our initial visit for after that.  So we will meet C and his parents on January 15th. 

I'm constantly reminded that there is so much hurt and need right in my own backyard!  Things going on behind closed doors that I would never, ever know unless I took the opportunity to reach out, even when it is uncomfortable.  And, it's often uncomfortable.  But, that discomfort should never, ever stop me, or you, for doing what God has called us to do for one another.  I know it was by design that I signed up for C's wish.  I'm excited to meet him in person.  I'm excited to meet his parents.  I'm excited to be the one to bring some joy to this family.  And, most of all, I'm excited to see what God has in store!

No comments: