Sunday, November 21, 2010

"Then" and "Now"

I was about to climb into bed.  Washed the face.  Put on the jammies.  Put the night time goop on my face.  Made sure the reading material and iPad was on my nightstand.  And, BAM, my mind would not let me rest (unfortunately that is nothing new for me....sometimes my mind is a hard thing to turn off).  So here I am.  I can't help but think about how God has transformed my life over the past almost 8 years.  If you knew me "then", you probably would have thought I was a nice enough person.  A rule-following person.  A friend, girlfriend, daughter (sometimes difficult daughter), sister.  Nothing "spectacular", just an "average Joe" I guess.  Even "then" I cared about people.  Hated to see people sad, struggling, suffering.  I'd get pretty bothered by seeing the guy standing by the side of the road with a sign that says "Hungry!  Will work for food".  But, as I think back....I never did anything about it.  There wasn't any action behind those feelings.

Fast forward to today, I see God's work in my life.  It's gotta be Him, using me to accomplish His will.  Believe me, I'm not that "good" on my own (Jim will attest to that, right Honey?).  So, as I have grown in my faith and my relationship with Jesus, I recognize that no one He puts in my life is by accident.  Every single person, whether a close friend, distant friend, friend-of-a-friend, neighbor, teacher to one of my kids or even a stranger matters to God just as much as I do.  So, what do I do with that?  I sit up and take notice and I act!  I help when they need help.  I listen when they need someone to talk to.  I give them the coat off my back if they need it.  I give them food if they are hungry.  I don't judge them.  I love them as unconditionally as God loves me.  No strings attached!  So, when I compare "then" to "now".....there is no comparison.

My advice?  Take notice of the people God places in your life!  It's never an accident.  Don't waste the opportunity to bless someone else.  And, never make them ask!  If you know they need help, just do it!

No comments: